18/07/2014

Damsel (Not in distress)





I got out of work early and scampered down to Ham Wall.  Equipped with a fully charged new camera I was ready to take some pro (ahem!) pictures.  Except there wasn't a lot about.  July is a time when most of the bird life takes a bit of a break.  Hiding out quietly in trees or chilling in the reeds.



So I decided to focus (sorry!) on the bugs.  There were loads.  Including a pleasing number of butterflies.







                                                         and a friendly Soldier beetle...





After getting to grips with the manual focus (a most welcome inclusion on the Fuji XS 1 and a big improvement over my last bridge camera) I decided to head to Walton Heath and sat in the hide amongst the reeds.




A tern put in a brief appearance but I was unable to replicate Andrews excellent photo (see last entry).  Partly down to the variable light, a slowish auto focus and dare i say it a slight lack of reaction time.



Nevertheless a young Grebe posed quite nicely.





Time was ticking so i headed back only to be distracted by a Damselfly.  They are rather dainty and look magnificent sat in the reeds.  As I photographed it, he casually rose from his perch, plucked a nearby aphid, shoved it in his mandibles and settled down to eat his prize.  Fantastic!


Scoffing an aphid.









All in all a good macro session.  Now I need to get some more birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment