29/01/2015

The White and Gold of God's own Country

(CLICK ON A PIC AND IT WILL GO BIG)

After the length of Wales the other day the last two days have seen me travel the length of England, well pretty much. Today I was mostly in Yorkshire which gave me the opportunity to pop into one of the local reserves. Luckily I had a few saved on my Satnav and so popped over to Wheldrake. In the visitors centre I interrupted a group of Natural England volunteers having what looked like a bit of a party. Unfortunately they informed me that it was a bit quiet around these parts at the moment what with the waters being low but if I popped around the corner there was a group of Whooper Swans. Unfortunately they weren't there but I was rewarded with a couple of female Marsh Harriers and a small flock of Golden Plovers. Another unfortunate thing is I can't remember the name of the reserve but heres a Google Map Link.The little white rectangle at the bottom right is the car park. Follow the path up and to the left and you can see the 'V' shaped hide.

Here they are in all their glory


Golden Plovers

Golden Plovers

Golden Plovers

Golden Plovers

Golden Plovers, Lapwings and Dunlin

If you were a Peregrine which one would you go for. You have one shot at it!

Golden Plovers and Lapwing at rest

All day it was either beautiful winter sunshine or dark windy snow. Luckily while I was there the sun was king and I managed some nice light. Its a nice little reserve that looks out onto flooded fields a bit like Catcott. There was one chap in the main hide who told me a lot of the area and what's been seen over the years.

Golden Plover

Golden Plover

Golden Plover

There were two Marsh Harriers flying unusually high and often sent the birds up. We summised they were Female rather than young due to the missing primals but we could be very wrong? I've been having some good luck with Marsh Harriers of late. These two in particular came closer than the ones around Somerset. I've had some good close up shots. Just need a nice close up of a Male please.


Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

Female Marsh Harrier

He did say there was a sighting of a Green Winged Teal on the reserve but we didn't see it. A small flock of  of Widgeon though and a couple of ordinary Teal

The ducks at rest

The ducks scattered by the Marsh Harriers

A couple of Buzzards made an appearance and were instantly joined by a Crow (or is it a Raven?) who gave up harrying them pretty soon. It seemed to do it out of habit rather than intent. The pics below show what looks like a ballet between the two but of course it wasn't

Buzzard and Crow

Buzzard and Crow

Buzzard and Crow

Buzzard and Crow

Quit a striking Buzzard I thought

Buzzard

Buzzard

And last but not least a Peregrine whizzed through far off in the distance scaring some Black Headed Gulls. Just managed to get a few shots.

Peregrine after scaring the Gulls.

Well the Golden bit is pretty obvious but where is the white from the title I hear you ask since the Whoopers, all sixty of them, were of feeding in the fields far away. Well the sky was getting pretty black and as I was leaving the car park the flakes began. Within minutes it was a white out and the fields became blankets. Tricky drive back for a while but as you can read I made it! Worth the trip I think.





No comments:

Post a Comment