17/05/2014

You had to be there

James has often mentioned over the last few weeks and in fact for quite a while now that he hasn't had a good sighting of a Cuckoo. When you do hear them they tend to be about a mile away. Never in the tree next to you. So as I set off from Glastonbury I thought to myself 'Its a Cuckoo day today'. With gritted teeth, flies tend not to taste very nice and my vegetarian ethos forbids eating insects, I set off at a pace on my trusty steed on a fine sunny Somerset morning. Squeezing through the gate at the far Sharpham end of Ham Wall I was greeted by the sight of a Cuckoo flying straight across my path. 'Lovely' I thought, Thats ticked that one off the list. But no. As I carried on a few yards I looked to my right and sat upon a dead tree was another Cuckoo not 50 paces from me. Whipping out the bins and camera I snapped this.............

Cuckoo

And I recorded this................. (I have edited out the gravely footsteps of a passer by and the light aircraft over head!) (You may also just hear a Bittern which called at the end) (Cetti's Warblers and Little Grebes are also rather noisy so you will have to excuse them!!)


James wasn't there.

On the Viewing point 2 where I stayed for an hour or so. A couple of Bitterns flew past and that was it. On again to Viewing point 1. The same again. A few Bitterns and a few Marsh harriers. Just the one Hobby. But an added bonus of a Peregrine, James favourite bird, flying low over the viewing point.

James wasn't there.

On again and I bump into our Mentor and Sage, Mike and family. Haven't seen them for ages. Was great to see him again. They to had seen a Cuckoo.

James wasn't there.

Shapwick was pleasent but quiet except for a nice little gathering of Godwits.

Black Tailed Godwits with a few Bar Tailed Godwits
(Please excuse the Little Egret showing off)
James wasn't there.

A quiet stop at The new Hawk and Owl trust for a spot of lunch. So quiet there. I love it. Not quiet because of a lack of wild life. But there is no one there and the road is quit a way away. I sware I saw a Female Marsh Harrier hover over in a far field then drop down into the grass but dont quote me on that.

James wasn't there.

A cycle up and past Canada farm brought me back to a nice cuppa of Earl Grey, no milk, splash of cold at the Eco Bites cafe. There I spotted this little chap in very vivid colours considering its summer.

Robin

James Wasn't there.

James wasn't here either.

Onwards to Hobby central. Otherwise known as West Hay. There at the raised viewing point I spent a very frustrating hour or so desperately trying to capture Hobbies as they swooped and fed low directly in front of me. Heres the best I could do.

Hobby

Hobby

Hobby Pair

Hobby

Hobby feeding

Hobby

Hobby

Hobby feeding
James wasn't there

A few brief views of a pair of Marsh Harriers to plus a Heron carrying nesting material.

Heron

James wasn't there.

So the day was nearly done. Or was it! You will never guess what happened. No James didn't turn up. But this did.................

Cuckoo in full song

James wasn't there.

So The day was done. Off I went stopping for a last time at the new Tor view Hide. (I still think it should be the Reed Hide) Not a lot save a very low and near Hobby. Passing through e gate and back up to VP1 a car came to a halt. The driver jumped out I thought he was going to open the gate for disabled parking. Nope he grabbed his impressive camera and started snapping at a pair of Bitterns that few directly across the water and into the reeds. I managed to spot where one came down and you could just see him in the reeds.

Can you spot it?

James didn't. He wasn't there.

Does it never end? Only after another low flyby of an impressive Female Peregrine as I texted James to tell him what he was missing.

James wasn't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment