26/10/2014

The next big thing

What with all the talk of a Pallid Harrier down at Steart I thought I had better take a look. For some reason I wasn't very enthusiastic about all this. I'm not a Twitcher. The EFRS is not about trying to tick things off although I will be the first to admit I do have a wish list but thats not the same thing. I overheard stuff like "Yep I've seen it so now we can go". What!! Look around you, there's far more to Steart than ticking one bird off in your book.

The estuary was looking splendid in the occasional glimpses of sunlight. Especially with the flock of Avocets.

Avocets

Avocets

Avocets

So I plonked myself down on the Estuary side. Quit a few people but not as many as I had expected. I had visions of thousands lining the banks. Thankfully I had a space in the main car park where I helped bump start a car. The paths are very cycle friendly which was a pleasant change. Just as I did plonk myself down I disturbed a Kestrel with a fresh kill a few feet away. Steart really is Kestrel central. There are loads flying around and very close.

kestrel Diving

Kestrel Diving

Kestrel

Kestrel on the look out

Within 20 minutes the Pallid Harrier flew up then down then up again then down again. This was worse that the Little Bitterns. I didn't have the wherewithal to sort out a shot but I did get a very good view through the bins and scope. I was happy but I needed that shot. (Otherwise how would you lot see it!). The hours passed and I spent most of my time looking at the fellow birders on the opposite bank to see where the scopes were pointing.

Some familiar faces at a safe distance ;¬)

They all seemed to be looking to my left well away from view or photo opportunity. I found myself alone on this side. Should I go with the flow or stick to my convictions? No Andrew you stay put. It will fly past in a bit. Its bound to come back isn't it. I amused myself with the Goldfinches that were flying back and forth cheerfully

Goldfinch

Along with the Black Tailed Godwits

Black Tailed Godwit

Black Tailed Godwit

Then it happened. Way over to the right I saw a dark bird flying low. Swiftly I grabbed my bins and yes there it was. Why wasn't anyone else looking? And more to the point how did I miss it going passed? I blame those Goldfinches. Oh well I grabbed the camera and fired. Far too many at once since I was over excited and had to wait for the buffer to clear. When it did go down I did a little 'YES' with a clenched fist and raised knee. Two guys were watching and laughed. I showed them the pics and we were all suitably impressed. However looking at them on the big screen they don't seem so good! Manual focusing with the x2 converter is a skill I haven't mastered yet and sods law dictates that the 'best' birds are always elusive. If it was a Black Headed Gull it would be the best shots you could ask for. Anyway heres the money shots................


Pallid Harrier

Pallid Harrier

Pallid Harrier (it's behind you)

Pallid Harrier

Pallid Harrier

Pallid Harrier

Pallid Harrier

And by special request heres a shot of it flying by two guys who I showed the pic to. They had seen it cross the estuary just after this shot.

Pallid Harrier and Birders

And that was that. Another bird ticked off the list and on to the next big thing. Its a shame there has to be big things. It would be nice to have them all as common as muck. Im sure they would like it that way.







1 comment:

  1. Anonymous26/10/14

    Congratulations! Some excellent images of the Pallid Harrier and a cracking photo of the Kestrel too. Thanks for sharing them. Best regards, NPW.

    ReplyDelete