23/08/2015

I know my place



(CLICK ON A PIC AND IT WILL GO BIG)



This had to be one of the hottest and muggiest days so far! I rode out with little hope of much. The scrape had some interesting stuff and then there was the Osprey on Noahs Lake. It started however with a stop at Aqueduct crossing. Funny though I wasn't in a photography mood really. More of a looking and taking it in mood. With that I decided to just get this little chap suspended between the ironwork of the bridge




Hamwall was bereft save for a few Great WHite Egrets in the distance. No Marsh Harriers at all. I thought I'd take a chance at the Tor Hide. Might have a fly by there. There were two guys I had chatted to and just as one said he hadn't seen a Bittern all weekend one flew right behind him for a second or two. I saw it over his shoulder. Unfortunatelly neither of those two saw it. The other bird of note? A nice close fly by of a Sparrow hawk. I managed to just about get it.

Sparrow hawk

Next stop the must see Osprey which, if it's true to form will be sitting on one of the dead trees and wont move all the time I watch it.

It's now that I can confirm what I stated in a previous post Canoodling where the true nature of Mr or should that be Lord Morrison conducts his nature photography. You see this is how the day actually happened...........

Reaching the bridge and turning left down the track to Noah's hide at Shapwick to see the Osprey I thought something was different. The track seemed a lot wider than before and two large ruts were on either side. I got my answer when I arrived at the hide. Lord M's stealth black baby Bentley was parked right at the foot of the steps to the hide! I squeezed past the inconsiderately parked beast and entered. Indeed he was there with his Butler called Nick. Lord M was resting in the corner, feet up so no one else could get in the way. There were a group of birders in there as well but they were huddled up in the opposite corner. They knew their place. Nick was on watch and would cough to tell Lord M if anything of interest occurred.
I sat down with the centre post and some bushes interfering with my view but I didn't complain, I knew my place. Polite conversation ensued and then there was the most bizarre episode of deja vu mixed with predictions coming to life. While Lord M and his butler were looking at the Osprey I happened to see a Kingfisher flit into the reeds close by. I informed his Lordship who promptly proceeded to snap away. It then flew to the bush beneath the hide. He was, of course, in the perfect position to get a clear snap while the butler and I only got a glimpse through the leaves. That's ok, we know our place. 

Kingfisher with an annoying reed

In flight


My view of it beneath the hide

There were three in total. One went a bit farther out and fished from these series of branches.










Oh and here's the Osprey by the way. It never moved.

Little Egret 'doing a kingfisher'

Earlier on at Tor Hide I had seen this. Three pigeons swooped down and splashed briefly in the water. This one did the same. Now it's either cooling down or de-fleeing.

Swimming pigeon


Doffing my cap I left the hide to Lord M and butler, I know my place, and rode back to Hamwall. I fancied a bit of peace and quiet. The families were out at Shapwick along with all the birders. I practically had the place to myself. I entertained myself with butterflies and foreboding storm clouds.





Can you see the scary face?



I was honoured with a text from Lord M saying that the Vulcan would be making a fly by at about 3:30. Indeed on cue at precisely 3:30 it did fly by. Unfortunately I should have gone home since it went directly over Glastonbury and I only got a distant glimpse



I took note of the clouds and made my way home. Not too soon either. The heavens opened not long after getting back.

Here's some macro

Noon Fly






Great day out all in. The pleasure of Robin and the biannual Osprey pics. So there was little flying around, I did the 360 test and didn't see a single bird on quit a few occasions, but It's never a let down. I even spotted the Little Stint on the Scrape.




No comments:

Post a Comment